They generally say the most ideal approach to get over a stun is to take a seat with a stiff drink. What’s more, that is precisely what one man did when he was ploughed down by a bus.

The bare headed bloke can be seen on CCTV, walking down Gun Street in Reading, when a double decker shows up around the bend at speed.

Simon Smith was then clouted by the big purple vehicle which had veered off the street and onto the asphalt.


With no opportunity to respond, the effect sees Mr Smith crush the windscreen before being thumped to the floor.The transport likewise cuts one of the adjacent shops, and sends debris flying into the road.

Mr Smith lying on the pavement, the transport doesn’t stop and figures out how to direct far from the pavement.


Ninety-nine people out of 100 would have been excessively stunned, making it impossible to move. Ninety-nine people out of 100 who are hit by a vehicle likely don’t survive.

But the standard to Purple Turtle bar (the purple painted building that can be found in the CCTV film), walked into the boozer to enjoy a drink.

According to the BBC, Mr Smith only suffered minor injuries and said he feels ‘lucky’ to be alive.


The bar staff who works at The Purple Turtle and, despite the fact that they weren’t on move, they have seen the “shocking” CCTV film.

The staff said: “As far as we know, Mr Smith went to hospital but was found to be alright.”

“There was some damage done to the shop next door, which we also own, and to the churchyard wall opposite the bar, but nothing directly to us.”


She added that Mr Smith, a regular, would be “more than welcome” to a free pint on his next visit to the battlecruiser.

No arrest have been made, in spite of the fact that Reading Buses have said they are working intimately with the police on the matter.


In a statement they said: “We are obviously shocked by the incident as well as the very graphic footage that has been shared a number of times. Thankfully, the pedestrian does not have any major injuries and there were no major injuries to passengers on the bus.”

The pedestrian lies on the pavement after being thrown around 20ft – as the bus goes in a different direction.


The incident is the subject of a continuous internal investigation and in addition an investigation by the police with whom we are working and sharing video from our on-board CCTV. So it would be unseemly for us to remark or judge on this until the point when it has run its course.

A representative for South Central Service said Mr Smith’s wounds were at first recorded because of being hit by debris because they were so minor.


Mr McNaught said: “We’ve known Simon for about 20 years. He went to hospital, he’s ok he’s a bit frail today, he’s not feeling the best. He went to hospital the paramedics who called the ambulance took him. He’s bruised and shocked I think. It’s absolutely crazy.”

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said the road was closed for about two hours.


“We can assure the public that all our drivers are incredibly professional and trained to the highest standard. Our buses receive regular checks by our award-winning engineering department.”

Damage outside the Purple Turtle following the crash.


“We send our regrets to those affected, especially the pedestrian injured in the street and hope that he is recovering from his injuries.”

Let us take a look at the footage.