China Announces The Launch Of Global Data Security Initiative
On Monday, China’s biggest chipmaker SMIC stocks plunged 23% after the United States (U.S.) said that it is assessing the matter if to add the restrict the export of the Chinese firm. It’s not the first time, the Trump government is scrutinizing a Chinese firm.
Over time, the U.S. has been accusing Chinese tech companies as a national threat. Last year, the U.S. government banned Huawei which adversely affected their business. Moreover, it also pushing the ByteDance owned TikTok to dissect their U.S. owned assets.
In response to the U.S. actions, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian accused the country of “blatant hegemony,” while it added that Beijing does not support these actions. He also said in his statement that the U.S. is using state power to put restrictions on all Chinese companies. However, their actions are not only breaking the international trade rules but tarnishing the U.S. image in the global world.
On Tuesday, China introduced a global data security initiative which has eight points outlining the principles that should be followed regarding the storage of personal data and spying. This initiative was announced by Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Beijing. The country’s move comes amidst the U.S. persistent investigations on Chinese tech companies and convincing other nations to ban them. China’s initiative focuses on protecting other countries’ infrastructure and not using technology to steal the users’ data.
In April 2020, CBNC reported that China is about to release a 15-year blueprint that would shape future technologies. “China Standards 2035” is expected to be released this year after two years of planning. Thus, this global data security initiative would enhance its role in shaping the future of technology standards.
Wany Yi said that this initiative is to curb the activities that “infringe upon personal information.” He added that “We have not and will not ask Chinese companies to transfer data overseas to the government in breach of other countries’ laws.” It’s not yet clear if any country has signed for this pledge. In his speech, he highlighted the U.S. as the nation who makes “groundless accusations” against other tech companies in the name of their “Clean Network” initiative.
Yesterday, Senior Chinese foreign ministry officials urged China and the U.S. to renew their talks before things get out of control. Le Yucheng, the vice-minister of foreign affairs, said that “We should restore and restart dialogue mechanisms at all levels and across all areas to bring our problems to the negotiating table,” he wrote. “Through the establishment of various mechanisms, we can effectively manage risks to ensure China-US relations do not get out of control and become derailed.”
In August 2020, U.S. unveiled the “Clean Network” initiative to “safeguard the nation’s assets including citizens’ privacy and companies’ most sensitive information from aggressive intrusions by malign actors, such as the Chinese Communist Party.” The country said that more than 30 countries have signed for this initiative but didn’t name them.
The U.S. is not the only one who’s taking stringent actions against the Chinese government, countries such as Australia, U.K., and India. Recently, India banned over 118 Chinese apps over the border tension in the region of Ladakh. Moreover, the UK and Australia had put restrictions on Huawei’s 5G network spectrum which has put China in the vulnerable spot.